Dealing with Difficult Telephone Calls
Learn How to use Simple and Effective Strategies to Stay Composed and Resolve Customer Conflict on the Telephone
All employees who have to deal with angry customers or service users via the telephone.
The course raises understanding of particular challenges for staff when communicating by phone. Participants learn key skills to maintain calm and be in control and to de-escalate the behaviour of angry callers. They also learn coping strategies to use during and after an aggressive phone call.
By the end of this ‘Dealing with Difficult Telephone Calls’ course participants will be better able to:
- Recognise patterns of conflict unique to communicating by telephone
- Identify different stages of conflict escalation
- Understand the impact of ‘red rag’ words and phrases
- Maintain their composure during difficult phone calls
- Use specific skills to structure and control each call
- Use a range of skills to manage difficult behaviour
- Use coping strategies to manage the impact of conflict and aggression
This Dealing with Difficult Telephone Calls training course is usually run over a full day. If you require a different delivery arrangement we will do all we can to meet the needs of your group.
The ‘Dealing with Difficult Telephone Calls’ training content is tailored to your organisation. Key content includes:
Background to conflict
- Understanding what triggers aggression
- Recognising the stages of conflict escalation
- Managing conflict ‘flashpoints’
Understanding how the telephone can contribute to conflict escalation
- Understanding patterns of behaviour unique to communicating by phone
Responding to conflict
- Understanding our natural response to conflict
- Understanding the impact of ‘red rag’ words and phrases
- Controlling our voice and reactions
- Skills to maintain composure when emotions are rising
- Structuring difficult telephone conversations
- Staying in control of the call
- Listening and calming the situation
- Acknowledging difficulties and customer emotions
- Saying no effectively
- Handling difficult or abusive behaviour
- Giving the customer a ‘win’
- Solving the problem
- Concluding angry phone calls
Managing the negative impact of an angry phone call
- Understanding the negative impact of angry phone calls
- Unique skills to manage our stress levels
- De-briefing after a difficult call
If you would like more information about this Dealing with Difficult Telephone Calls training course or would like to discuss how this course can be tailored to your needs, please contact us by calling 0800 3029262 or using the enquiry form on the contact page.
Professional and personal development for real situations, delivered with real personality, by a real specialist.